Shimla is the northern hill station capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh. It is the largest city in the state and also a major tourist destination in India. Shimla was the summer capital of the British Empire in India. Many officers of the Raj used to escape the heat of major Indian cities to the hill station region of Shimla. Today it is a top tourist destination in India. People from India and all over the world visit Shimla every year as tourism is a major industry in the city. Shimla is visited by tourists all year round but different seasons bring different types of tourists to Shimla. Shimla is built on top of seven hills and the following are some of the details about visiting Shimla:
- Visiting Shimla is popular with Indian tourists who want to escape the heat. For foreign touristsit is great to visit an Indian hill station in the Himalayas.
- The relics of the British colonial past truly define the infrastructure and culture of the city which is truly beautiful.
- A major part of the city is traffic free and walking and exploring is a part of the experience of visiting the city. There are many tourist destinations and activities for people visiting Shimla and the nearby areas.
- The Himachali cuisine influences Anglo Indian dishes and make the food in Shimla extremely mouthwatering for tourists.
- The tourist infrastructure in the city is good. There are many different types of hotels and resorts in the city catering to all types of tourists visiting Shimla. The following are some of the tourist sites and tourist activities for people visiting Shimla:
Tourist Sites and Activities in Shimla
- There are many major tourist destinations in Shimla. The Mall area is one of the popular places to visit in Shimla with many eateries, clubs, restaurants, tourist offices, and post offices. The Ridge is another popular destination where there are notable buildings like Christ Church, Gaiety Heritage, and the State Library.
- Jakhoo Temple in the Jakhu Hills area of the city is also very popular with tourists. A trip on the Shimla-Kalka railway line is a popular choice for tourists. Visiting the beautiful Summer Hill area of Shimla is also a good choice. The Annandale race course, the beautiful temples and monasteries and the bazaars of Shimla make it a top destination.
- Chail Palace, Clarkes Hotel, the state museum, and the Gorton Castle are some historical buildingsin the region.
- In Shimla, tourists can enjoy golfing, skiing, ice skating, walking, fishing, and also visiting nearby destinations for adventure sports. Adventure sports near Shimla include forest camping, trekking, paragliding, mountain biking, heli-skiing, and skating, river rafting, and rock climbing.
Best Time to Visit Shimla
As mentioned above, there are many tourist destinations and tourist activities in and around Shimla. The weather plays a critical role in planning a trip to Shimla. Depending on the activities planned and the weather of the season, a trip can be planned.
Shimla experiences many different seasons like the winters, summers, monsoons, and subtropical highland climate. The best time to visit Shimla depends on the type of tourist excursion that is planned for the Shimla trip. There are three main tourist seasons in Shimla and each season has different weather andgets a different experience.The following are some of the seasons in Shimla to visit for different types of tourists looking to visit Shimla:
Tourist Seasons in Shimla
March to June
- March to June is the summer season in Shimla and is very popular with the tourists. Tourists visit Shimla with their kids in their summer vacations. This is a season where tourists visit hill stations like Shimla to escape the heat of the tropical cities.
- The city receives mild summers and the average temperature during the day in Shimla is around 24 degrees Celsius. The minimum average temperature is around 12 degrees Celsius.
- These months are perfect for outdoor activities as the temperature is mild and rainfall is not a major issue. Besides city activities like going out walking in the city, other tourist activities in this season include adventure sports.
- This is the best time for visiting if tourists want to enjoy paragliding, trekking, river rafting, and outdoor adventurous activities.
July to September
- July to September is monsoon months in Shimla and this season receives a lot of rain. There are landslides and heavy rains for some days in this season as it is a hilly region.
- The average day temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius and the night temperaturedips to high single digits. Shimla and the surrounding regions become lush green because of the rains and is absolutely beautiful in terms of scenery.
- This is not the peak tourist season and not the best season to see Shimla because of the unreliable weather. However, the hotel rates drop drastically during this offseason. Some people opt to visit Shimla during this season for a cheaper trip.
October to February
- Winter is another popular time to visit Shimla between October and February. Many people in tropical countries like India want to experience proper snowfall and a proper winter. Visiting Shimla during the winter is a great choice.
- The average day temperature is around 1o to 12 degrees Celsius and the night temperature dips below freezing. There is snowfall in winter months in Shimla making it an absolutely beautiful experience for tourists visiting the city.
- White Christmas is a major possibility in Shimla. It is a major tourist destination for the New Year celebration. Also, honeymooners love to visit Shimla during this season.
As mentioned above, Shimla is a major tourist destination and there are different tourist seasons in the city. The summers and winters are the best time to visit Shimla and avoiding the monsoon season is a good idea. Shimla is a great place to visit in India as it is a top tourist destination in India. Both domestic and international travelers visit this city every year. India is country where we have lot’s tourist places. if you are Fort lover than you must visit : Top 5 Must Visit Forts in Rajasthan.